[haiku-development] Re: R1 (Final) General Interest poll closed. Results posted. ...

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 13:37:11 +0100

Am 13.12.2010 13:23, schrieb Adrien Destugues:
Le 13/12/2010 11:48, Simon Taylor a écrit :
Video mode setting drivers - I find that one very confusing, as I
thought we already had drivers for most of the listed vendors. The small
size of the "don't know" vote suggests most people thought they
understood the question, but I wonder if they really knew what they were
voting for.

We had. But Radeon HD and Intel HD are both missing, and that's what's
shipping in current computers. I don't know about NVidia, but it's
likely the same.
So we're lagging one generation behind.

For me, the real question is why people voted for this. Did they think that Haiku will not work or not work well without the drivers? Are there enough people that experience difficulties with the existing drivers? Were there enough people with problems to pick their native resolution because VESA does not do it? Depending on the answers to these quesions, the efficient solution to the problem may be completely different.

To give an example, one of my computers has a GTX285 in it. That's already several generations behind current hardware, but even more generations ahead of our native driver support. However, this graphics board has the feature to detect the EDID resolution of the connected display, and magically makes this resolution appear in the VESA mode list. It probably does this so the OS can boot in native resultion before any driver is loaded. It also means I can use Haiku *perfectly*, the only missing features being V-Blank support and overlays (both being pretty minor issues).

So whether or not you really need a native driver depends on your hardware, and in many situations, you don't need one. The answer in the poll could be completely skewed for all I know.

Best regards,
-Stephan