[haiku-development] Re: R1 (Final) General Interest poll closed. Results posted. ...

  • From: Niels Sascha Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 17:38:13 +0100

Hi Karl,

On 16 December 2010 16:13, Karl vom Dorff <karlvd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Haiku Inc, sell one 100% Haiku hardware compatible laptop and desktop - plus
> some unique software (i,e an IM app with webcam support). Use the profit to
> fund your hardware purchasing program and developers to write new
> drivers/features. I think it'll be pretty difficult to support all older
> hardware and newer hardware as it comes out. Perhaps concentrating on single
> machines would be a better idea for now. The concept has already been
> demonstrated to work by Apple.

While I like the idea, and I think that there is a profitable model to
be found within our community for this sort of thing, especially if
part of the profit is earmarked for the Haiku project, I do not think
that Haiku Inc. should become involved with such a thing. Besides the
hurdles of setting up the machine, the sales channel and what not,
there is also the thing that Haiku Inc. should not take any risks.
This is something you cannot avoid when you are basically acting like
a company.

Regards,