[haiku-development] Re: R1 (Final) General Interest poll closed. Results posted. ...

  • From: "Brecht Machiels" <brecht@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 10:04:09 +0100

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 22:07:38 +0100, Adrien Destugues <adestugu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Being able to tell we support a list of chipsets (for example, intel Hd
and Radeon HD), mean people can buy avideo card and know it will just
work. Right now, we only have drivers for cards that aren't shipping
anymore, or will soon disappear.

That will always be the case, unless manufacturers start making datasheets available before releasing the new GPU's.

But is the situation really that bad? I have the impression that most GPU's of one manufacturer all share the same basic structure. I've only messed around a bit with the Intel driver, and only minor changes were necessary for adding support for the chipset in my laptop. I guess this is similar for nVidia and ATi GPU's, at least for the basic 2D functions?

Also, I think open-source Linux 2D graphics drivers pretty much cover the hardware out there. These can be used as a reference. The work still needs to be done, of course... Maybe organize a driver coding sprint?

--
Brecht