[haiku-development] Re: R1 (Final) General Interest poll closed. Results posted. ...

  • From: "Brecht Machiels" <brecht@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 09:37:30 +0100

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 22:22:46 +0100, Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I think deciding what hardware to purchase is the hard part. Intel
video, for example, pretty much requires purchase of an entire machine
or mainboard - whereas most of the decent AMD/NVidia hardware can be
purchased independently (with the exception of the integrated-only
chipsets, which are probably the most common out there).

It would be good to know just what is the most common hardware out there. I've done a quick search on the net, but couldn't find any numbers on that. I doubt information like that is readily available.

Maybe it would be a good idea to build a database of hardware in use by visitors of the Haiku website? Provide Windows and Linux tools to dump system information to a file that can be uploaded to the haiku website (lspci for example). These files can be parsed and information contained in them can be stored in a database.

Of course, the time between someone uploading this information and wanting to run Haiku will be small, so I doubt this will be useful for an individual. However, we will be able to see what hardware is most common and write drivers for that first.

Kind regards,
Brecht