[haiku-development] Re: R1 (Final) General Interest poll closed. Results posted. ...

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 7:16 PM,  <SMC.Collins@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>    Atom BIOS was open sourced IIRC.
>   can be found here.
>
>  xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati ("radeon")
>
> xorg/driver/xf86-video-radeonhd ("radeonhd")
>
>   I also belive the intel may have opensourced the intel drivers here
>
> http://intellinuxgraphics.org/

I am not yet a driver developer (and may never be), so this may be a
naive question, but why couldn't we write a Linux video driver wrapper
like has been done for FreeBSD network drivers? Surely the time
investment in developing such a system would be less than writing all
the drivers for devices which are already nicely supported by open
source Linux drivers? I am sure the architecture of Haiku and X.org
video drivers is quite different (I know we have them split into a
kernel driver and accelerant) but at the end of the day they both are
just talking to the hardware. So logically it seems to that writing
some sort of translation layer would be possible.

If it is already known that this isn't possible, well OK, but I'd be
curious to know why. If no one has yet investigated it, then I would
suggest someone with more knowledge take a look. Or I could start down
the road of becoming a driver developer and investigate it myself
(though like everyone I already have plenty on my plate.)

Ryan