[haiku-development] Re: R1 (Final) General Interest poll closed. Results posted. ...

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 16:25:09 -0800

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 4:37 AM, Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> So whether or not you really need a native driver depends on your hardware,
> and in many situations, you don't need one. The answer in the poll could be
> completely skewed for all I know.

I think the poll results are questionably-useful here.

It's entirely feasible that the majority of people didn't even
understand what was being asked here - if the question was simply:
"Should Haiku have video mode-setting drivers?", most people know that
VESA's mode-setting capabilities are extremely limited (especially on
most OSes), and that this is a must-have for full support of native
resolutions on most machines (you're experience with the GTX285 card
is something I have still never seen on any chip I have tested
with...)

On the other hand, what isn't clear to the masses is the extent of the
hardware that Haiku *doesn't* yet have mode-setting support for yet.
If we were to break it down into poll per chip brand, that might be a
more telling result that we could actually use to prioritize
development around, otherwise we're sort of stuck chasing a moving
target of very expensive hardware.

I suspect a large percentage of the poll-takers don't even know if
their hardware is supported by one of Haiku's existing video drivers,
and as a result were unable to make an informed choice on that
particular question.

- Urias