[haiku-development] Re: R1 (Final) General Interest poll closed. Results posted. ...

> Therefore I don't think we absolutely need to have,
> for example, package management in R1.

The reason I voted package management as being a must-have is because, as a
software developer who wants to write applications for Haiku, I want to package
my application for the official Haiku application installation method from the
start.

If you would like Haiku application developers to use zip file packages for R1
and then, for example, to use the official package manager for R2, I'm worried
that the transition just won't happen.

If I'm misunderstanding the purpose of the Haiku package manager, then never
mind. :P

> To give an example, one of my computers has a
> GTX285 in it. That's already several generations
> behind current hardware, but even more generations
> ahead of our native driver support. However, this
> graphics board has the feature to detect the EDID
> resolution of the connected display, and magically
> makes this resolution appear in the VESA mode list.
> It probably does this so the OS can boot in native
> resultion before any driver is loaded. It also means
> I can use Haiku *perfectly*, the only missing
> features being V-Blank support and overlays (both
> being pretty minor issues).

Isn't this behavior the exception?

For this to happen, do you need a special video card, motherboard, or monitor?

Is there a name for this hardware behavior, or a Wikipedia page with
information about it? Is there anyway to know if hardware supports it before
trying it?