[haiku-development] Re: R1 Alpha 2 Optional Package discussion

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 14:42:24 +0200

On 2010-04-19 at 19:04:53 [+0200], Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 13:19, Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 14:58, Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> Based on that, I suggest including ICU-devel.
> >> It is required to build WebPositive from source and its file size is
> >> <4M uncompressed.
> >
> > Any thoughts on including XZ-Utils?
> > Uncompressed it's 2.6M.

I'm not opposed to either of those, though I also don't feel that they are
must-haves. I suppose we also have to start looking at the image size. The
current alpha-raw contents seems to weigh >600 MB already. If we're going
to add the full sources, we might hit the CD size limit.

> from mmu_man in IRC:
>  just sent the pending patch I had here on OSS to reserve PCI devices
>  still need to make sure native drivers do it too, but then we can
> include OSS if we want
>
> IIRC, the conflicts between OSS & Haiku's native drivers was the
> reason for not including it in r1a1.

When the "make sure native drivers do it too" part is done and there's
still a reasonable amount of time to test it, I'm all for including OSS.

CU, Ingo