[haiku-development] R1 Alpha 2 Optional Package discussion

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 14:58:04 +0000

Hopefully this presents enough information on what to include, remove, & add.

Optional Packages in R1 Alpha 1
---
BePDF Firefox Pe Vision WonderBrush ;
CVS Development Git Mercurial
Python Subversion OpenSSH ;
Nano P7zip Welcome BeBook ;

Current in trunk's @alpha-*
---
BePDF BeZillaBrowser Clockwerk Pe Vision
VLC WonderBrush ;
CVS Development Git Mercurial
Python Subversion OpenSSH OpenSSL ;
Nano P7zip Welcome BeBook ;

Difference R1 Alpha 1 & trunk's @alpha-*
---
Clockwerk VLC OpenSSL*
OpenSSL was actually included implicitly as a build feature -- wget
indeed links to it. So explicitly listing OpenSSL is non-function
changing.

I suggest removal of Clockwerk & VLC for same reasons as R1 Alpha 1.

One saving grace over R1 Alpha 1 is installoptionalpackage.
It's worth mentioning the packages that it cannot install & users may want to:
{{{
    Beam Bluetooth ICU-devel LibLayout NetFS UserlandFS WifiFirmwareScriptData
}}}

Based on that, I suggest including ICU-devel.
It is required to build WebPositive from source and its file size is
<4M uncompressed.

As for WebPositive replacing BeZillaBrowser, I'm unsure as Gmail&chat
do not work. Though, bezilla can always be installed by the user via
installoptionalpackage.

--mmadia