[haiku-development] Re: Quick network preference application update

> This might seem a little nitpicky, but for a red/green colorblind
> person like myself, the yellow and green in those mock-ups are
> basically indistinguishable to me. Having them right next to the word
> "connected" or "connecting" makes it easy to see at a glance which it
> is.
>
> Now, if as someone said, we were going to add a lock overlay for
> encrypted connections, wouldn't that go where the colored circle is
> currently anyway?
>
> (I might also try something like a red triangle pointing down for
> "disconnected", a yellow circle for "connecting" and a green triangle
> pointing up for "connected". But these are just random ideas off the
> top of my head to make it easier to see at a glance for people like
> myself.)

On second thought, after doing a little mocking up of my own, the
shapes for the colored indicators don't look good to me. A much easier
"fix" for me personally is just making the green a little darker. The
very light green in the current mockup looks just like yellow, but a
slightly darker green stands out much better.

This still leaves the question of where the lock overlay would go.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the organization of the
devices versus the connections. They seem like two logically different
things to me, and mixing them together, like the left mockup image, is
confusing to me.

I think of it like two different types of lists... One type an easy to
understand listing of devices, with their current states, and another
listing the connections and their current states.

(These lists themselves could also be separated into categories...
wired or wireless for hardware, and VPN or whatever for connections?)

It seems like a Connections list should be the main list, as Ryan
said. A "devices" type list (or set of tabs for the various types)
seems secondary to that, as something more to be used to either edit
the properties of a given device directly, or to select a device to
associate with a connection.

Generally the first things I care about when looking at a connection
list is which connections are active or inactive. Ie; which
pre-configured connections I have and what their current states are.
For a wired link, what its up/down status is (and then the current IP
address and possibly device used). For a wireless link, the up/down
status, signal strength, and current associated SSID (and IP address,
device etc).

Going beyond that involves choosing specific devices, configuring
settings, etc... things I don't care about at first glance.

I'm just trying to brainstorm a bit on it because I like the direction
it's going, but it's been a bit confusing for me going forward and I'd
like to see something really simple and useful at first glance that
exposes the finer grained info as you need it in an "intuitive" way.

--
猿も木から落ちる