[haiku-development] Re: Question About Accelerated Drawing Functions

Hi Gerald,

Gerald Zajac wrote:
> Stephan Assmus wrote:
> > At the moment, I don't have a good overview of how these pros and cons
> > would balance on an old system. What is your impression, how does Haiku
> > feel on such hardware without acceleration?
> >

> On an old computer there is a very noticeable difference.  On a computer
> with an 866 MHz Pentium III processor, 256 MB memory, and a Savage 4
> video chip with 8 MB of memory on the video card, the time to repaint a
> window is definitely noticeable when not using 32 bit color.  For
> example, if I move a window across a window such as the Screen
> preferences dialog, the time to repaint the controls in this dialog is
> very noticeable;  however, with 32 bit color it is not noticeable.
>
> On another older computer with an 500 MHz K6-2 processor, 128 MB memory,
> and the same Savage 4 video card, the time to repaint is even more
> noticeable.  However, on this computer, the time to repaint using 32 bit
> color is also slightly noticeable.
>
> On another computer with an 1800 MHz Duron processor, 256 MB memory, and
> a ProSavage DDR chip using 32 MB of shared memory, the time to repaint is
> less noticeable with non-32 bit color.
>
> Thus, when not using 32 bit color, the time to repaint a window is less
> noticeable with a faster computer.  BTW, the above tests were done using
> a 1280 x 1024 LCD monitor with a refresh rate of 60 Hz.
>
> Furthermore, when running BeOS with the same S3 video driver, the time to
> repaint the Screen preferences dialog was not noticeable on any of these
> computers regardless of the color depth used.

Thank you for these insights. I have two older computers with native
graphics drivers available. I know I can setup at least one of them for
network booting. Maybe I can conduct some tests, but I don't know if I am
truely qualified to bring the drawing code up to speed for these
situations. Also, I don't know when I will have some time for this, I was
working on other stuff. To be honest, non-32 bit support is not a very
urgent feature for me personally. So if anyone else feels like giving it a
try, it isn't exactly very complicated from a perspective of understanding
how to change app_server. I can try to explain what has to be done, but I
need someone with an interest first. :-)

Best regards,
-Stephan