[haiku-development] Re: QT and SDL GCC4 libs and Haik compatible Logo program

  • From: Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2011 21:50:37 +0200

> > In any case, for things like Haikuware, I would think that a negative
> > badge for software that
> > does not fit the guidelines makes much more sense (and if almost every
> > piece of software
> > gets the "I'm good"-badge as it should be, it's pretty much useless
> > anyway, as you'll then
> > don't even notice it anymore).

I think I said 2 (or more) times already that, as a 3rd party developper, I'd
like to use the badge, not on Haikuware, but on my own website as a way to
support Haiku. I expect certain rules to follow before doing that.

I do understand that sticking padges on haikuware will be pointless once we
have a package manager, as the "compatible" apps will then be available on a
dedicated repository with a high entry level of quality testing. I still
think 3rd party developpers should be allowed to put something like "hey! My
software runs on Haiku !" on their website would help create a community of
developpers that users can easily recognize while browsing through the
internet. How can the Haiku trademark be used in that case ? Should it be
free use ? Should it be a set of guidelines we ask to follow, without any
check ? should it be a certification program ? I don't know. Let's write the
guidelines first.

> That is a good point. I suppose most software which would be uploaded
> to Haikuware is at least *trying* to run on Haiku. Though it might be
> a bit harsh to apply some sort of "Not Up To Haiku Standards - You
> Suck" badge ;)

That one, on the other hand, will likely stay inside Haikuware, and maybe not
use the Haiku trademarks and logo. So I don't think it's up to Haiku (inc,
project, or anything else) to define it ?

--
Adrien.