[haiku-development] Re: QT and SDL GCC4 libs and Haik compatible Logo program

  • From: Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 21:13:47 +0100

Only recently did Adrien assert that the logo was supposed to be used
for "compatible software" - and I guess nobody corrected him. So, this
is will be a brand new concept for the Alpha3 release.

In any case, that's fine - if we want to re-purpose the logo for
software, I don't care, but it was news to me (and probably others),
that's all.
That's news to me too and I strongly object, particularly to the "The Haiku Project is
responsible for allowing 3rd-partiesto use the logo." I certainly have better things to do
with my time than to judge whether dozens of software packages are "Haikuish" enough. I
also don't see the point.

Maybe I need to explain a bit more of this.

I noticed over time that a lot of users get into problems because of badly packaged software. For example, games installing gcc4 SDL libraries in the lib/ folder in a gcc2 system and breaking other apps relying on these libs. So the first idea was trying to avoid this. But at the same time, I see this logo as a way for software developpers to proudly show they support Haiku development (something I'd do on my homepage for some of the software I develop). This wiki page is in an early state. I asked Matt Madia about it, and he said haiku, inc was not the one to ask to be allowed to use the logo, and that the Haiku project would be. I think having a vote for each software is not going to work out, but setting up a guideline for people to follow, even if not enforcing it, could help developpers what to check for. Like the Haiku Interface Guidelines, it is not set in stone, but it's some hints on how we think software can be made better.

There is a growing community of 3rd-party developpers. So far all we have done is creating a mailing list for them. The Haiku book is widely incomplete, and there is no package manager or easy way to get a software part of optional packages. when we get package management, I think part of the problem will remain, where to host packages, and how to get them shared ? The "Haiku compatible" (or "Haiku compliant", or whatever) can start as a simple logo, and grow to something integrated in the package manager, like ubuntu shows an ubuntu logo on officially supported software in synaptic.

If you think the Haiku Compatible logo is not the good one for that, ok, we can draw another one. The process to allow this logo to be displayed for an application can be changed too, I just started to put down some ideas on the wiki (clearly marked as a draft), feel free to edit it or discuss that. Will we keep the "let's have a vote for everything" scheme forever ? Or could some responsabilites of "the project" like package validation, be delegated to a smaller group of people who want to do it ? (may be someone else than project members). Of course the project members could vote who's doing the task :)

--
Adrien.