[haiku-development] Re: QEMU in Linux

  • From: Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 10:22:21 +0200

On 2008-07-13 at 18:46:54 [+0200], Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx >
wrote:
Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
since I can't use VMware with the actual HD (due to missing SCSI
suppport
in Haiku) I tried using qemu 0.9 in Linux (OpenSuse 10.3 with kernel
2.6.22.5). Unfortunately qemu seems to see an old state of the disk
when I
run it, i.e. when running qemu after updating the Haiku partition
(/dev/sda7) via the build system the changes to the disk don't appear
have happened. They clearly did happen, of course -- bfs_shell sees
the
current state and after rebooting also qemu does. "sync" doesn't
help, nor
does running qemu with or without "-snapshot" or "-no-kqemu".

Any ideas how this can be fixed?

Nope, but I certainly ran into this more than once so far :-)
What's your problem with VMware exactly, though?

I can add a physical disk as virtual disk, but it is presented as a SCSI
disk, which doesn't work in Haiku.

Anyway, I briefly had a look in Google, and could only find this:

"The problem is actually that the linux block cache doesn't make any
consistency between /dev/hda and /dev/hda6, so if you give /dev/hda to
qemu, qemu writings won't be consistent with mounting /dev/hda6 in
linux. You can give /dev/hda6 directly to qemu and it will be fine."
[http://www.bddebian.com/~wiki/hurd/running/qemu/]

Maybe you can work around it like this.

No, I primarily wanted to play with partitions. But maybe there's some way
to tell Linux to sync the block caches. Will have a look.

The latest released version of QEMU is 0.9.1, and when in doubt check with the SVN version.

The -hda parameter is a shortcut to a more complex -drive parameter, supporting both IDE and SCSI, which recently got a ,cache=off option or similar you could try. Iirc QEMU has its own cache in addition to Linux'.

-snapshot I believe is about where changes are written to, usually not to a disk then.

Andreas