[haiku-development] Re: Proposal : move away from bash

  • From: pulkomandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 14:06:14 +0200

> Compatibility. Also, there is a reason that bash is the defacto shell
> almost everywhere. The devil is usually in the details, and even those
> who tried (Ubuntu), went back to bash in the end.

We don't use shell scripts as much as most linux distros.
I fixed the bootscript to work with mksh and I'm now using it as my
/bin/sh. I'll see if I get any trouble because of that.

We also get a lower memory footprint and slightly shorter boot time (not
that the bootscript matters much for that, I guess).

> And quite the opposite: I see no reason to make the switch. The GPL is
> perfectly fine for self-contained software like bash.
> The UTF-8 bugs are not bugs in bash, but only ones in our
> configuration. Furthermore, libreadline is used in many more software,
> so fixing this should definitely be in our interest, regardless of the
> shell we use.

Right. However, the bugs pointed out by coverity in bash are likely real
ones.

> But feel free to add an optinal package for mksh. I think there is also
> nothing wrong in trying to make our scripts as compatible as possible
> to as many shells as possible.

Like using both gcc2 and gcc4, this is likely to point more programming
errors in shell scripts. I'll make an optional package (not touching
/bin/sh for now) and do some tests to see what happens.

--
Adrien.