[haiku-development] Re: Proposal for Haiku locale resouses reorganization.

  • From: PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 21:42:28 +0200

Le Wed, 30 Sep 2009 21:22:33 +0200, Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit:

Howdy,

Oliver Tappe wrote:
Forgive me for what may be a dumb question (or even what some may see as
a sacrilegious question!), but why wouldn't Haiku use the same approach
as Zeta, where a purely text-based translation catalog approach was
used? This would make localization a lot more accessible to a lot more
people.

But it *is* text-based! Basically, a *.catkeys file is just a tab-delimited text file. It should be possible to open it via the csv-import feature of your favourite spreadsheet, too.

Maybe I still don't understand the workflow... If I create a new catalog or modify an existing one in its text file format, can I use/test it as is or does it have to be compiled before it can be used?

You can do both :
either name it .txt and use it as is, or compile it as .catalog and use it in a compiled form. The compiled form can be embedded in an attribute or resource of the executable, and this is its main purpose.

In the original OpenTracker Locale Kit design, it was planned to allow storing binary blobs of data in the .Catalog files, too (sounds, pictures). But we decided to drop that feature as it is simpler to store and localize the filepath of the resource in such cases. The binary format stayed...

--
Adrien Destugues / PulkoMandy
http://pulkomandy.ath.cx