[haiku-development] Re: Proposal for Haiku locale resouses reorganization.

  • From: PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 17:33:40 +0200

That is why I think that non-default localization data resources should be
moved out of main trunk. Such data are not sources but kind of optional
stuff. And we have to do this separation before the trunk bloats.

I certainly agree and find the idea pretty neat. We need to make up our mind about how to *package* the locale stuff (catalogs) anyway. IMHO it doesn't
make sense to always build all existing catalogs and copy those onto the
image. I've always found it pretty strange that there are so many translation
files installed on Linux although I'm only ever using 1 or 2.

If we move the catalogs into a different subversion module, it would be nice
to keep it integrated with the build-system in haiku-trunk, such that the
build-system would notice which other languages are available (and allows to
select from these by setting a variable in UserBuildConfig). Of course,
somebody would have to work on the required jam rules for that.

And the last point - separating localization resources out of the system
sources will simplify the administrative actions for maintaining the
localization resources branch - then you can let the write access to
corresponding parts of the SVN repository to people, that maintain
corresponding language. Currently it looks overcomplicated and I see, that
you have to work as "commit proxy" and resolve all conflict between
different "flavors" of translations.

Indeed - if we separate the translation catalogs from the code, it would be rather simple to allow more people write access to those (once we've switched to our new svn server). With a couple of more jam rules, it should even be possible to get jam to not only build the catalogs, but collect info about
the state of the different languages/app translations.
I think if we can get that to work, the need for a web application tracking
the translations would be much less pressing.

cheers,
        Oliver

Sure it would be nice to have jam do all the status-checking work. I'm all for it :) About the packaging, I think it's nice to have the files available at installation time on the Haiku CD, but then on the Hard Disk I'm not sure about what to do. The preflet allows you to select not a single favorite language, but a sorted list, this way, if the first one is not found, there are multiple fallbacks you're likely to be able to somewhat read, not just english. Of course, you don't change that setting often, so it makes sense to select the languages you want at installation time. But then we go for a microsoft-like install process with hundreds of settings. I really like the 3-click install of BeOS...

--
Adrien Destugues / PulkoMandy
http://pulkomandy.ath.cx