[haiku-development] Re: Proposal: Release Schedule

  • From: PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 14:50:23 +0200

I don't really agree on this.
If you look at the bugtracker, there is almost no bug left in the
R1/alpha list. And it's an alpha, so there is no need to fix all bugs
in the R1 milestone now. Just tag the trunk as it is now as "alpha",
package it and release it. Of course, by waiting a week more you will
have more bugs solved, but then, by waiting another one you'll get
even more and so on. So just leave them as is and release this alpha
version.

As someone said, the alpha is only a small step on the path to R1, and
the schedule should be made with R1 in mind. This alpha release is
targetted to developpers that want to help working on haiku. It should
allow to build haiku itself, and build & test apps to run on it.
That's all. Moreover, you can do as much testing as you want, even for
a stable release there will be some bugs left.

I think the code is ready for an alpha. There is no big
work-in-progress thing in the trunk. All the big work is already done
in branches (tracker refactoring, locale kit, gallium, ...). So the
Haiku source tree switched to a release schedule on its own without
any coordinator driving it. As proposed, wait for the end of GSoC so
the mentors (and students) get more time to work on the alpha release,
and schedule it not on code features, but on the website, iso building
and hosting, and marketing part. I think the better soluion is to
release it just before BeGeisert in this aspect. So make the
announcement there. We have two month (september and october) to get a
nice website, build the ISOs and host them. once the iso is built, the
development can continue in haiku trunk as usual. there is no need for
a special branch for this alpha. The branches should be made for all
the features that are in the "Maybe R1" and "Unscheduled" lists on the
wiki, while R1 features should be developped in the trunk itself. This
is how haiku's svn always worked, and doing a release is not a valid
reason to change that.

Then... I'm not the release coordinator, so feel free to ignore what I said.

--
Adrien Destugues / PulkoMandy
(random Haiku developper)