[haiku-development] Re: Proposal: Moving away from Subversion

  • From: Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 18:44:41 +0200

Am 28.06.2010 um 23:56 schrieb Siarzhuk Zharski:

some days ago I tried to checkout the whole QT 4.7 repository from gitorious.org by using following command:

git clone git://gitorious.org/+qt-haiku/qt/qt-haiku-port.git qt- haiku-port

There were about 5-6 attempts that failed at ~50~60~80%% of completeness. Finally I spent more than one hour of time and circa thrice of original traffic to get the sources. Note that it was on normal quality DSL line. May be I did something wrong?

I did such a clone operation and in that case the directory remained present so that I could cd into it and continue with `git pull`. Did you not try, or was it gone like I reported from Mercurial?

Are there any other ways to initial checkout the repository beside this "whole at once" conception?

Yes. You can create an empty repository (git init), configure the remote (git remote add remotename url), fetch the branch you are interested in (git fetch remotename branchname) and check it out as a local branch (git checkout -b yourbranch remotename/branchname).

Has Mercurial the same design flaw during initial cloning repositories?

To me it appeared to handle it worse by not allowing an incremental download and by not showing any numerical progress at all.

Andreas