[haiku-development] Re: Proposal: Moving away from Subversion

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 11:35:30 +0200

On 2010-06-29 at 10:52:04 [+0200], Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> On 29 June 2010 10:41, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 2010-06-29 at 09:14:28 [+0200], Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> As long as there are good reasons to choose for hg or git, I don't
> >> think we should vote for this - this shouldn't be about taste, but
> >> performance. Also, if the tools to use both git/hg over a single
> >> repository are reliable, then there is no real need to vote either.
> >
> > I don't quite see how different commit channels can work. What happens in
> > case of conflicts? Or does a commit operation via any channel create a
> > common transaction over all repositories?
>
> There is no definite solution. The bridge I am writing also suffers
> from a potential race-conflict. If you push changesets to the central
> hg repository, the bridge checks whether it is up to date with the svn
> repository. If not, it will reject the changes. However, there is
> always a slight chance that changes happen concurrently. Perhaps
> synchronizing by using a file as a primitive might work, but I do not
> know how atomic that would be.

Under UNIX-like system directory creation/deletion is usually considered
atomic.

BTW, there's a Wikipedia VCS comparison page [1] with feature tables mostly.
I find it a bit of a turnoff that neither git nor hg seems to support
Unicode filenames -- we probably don't use any ATM, though. Bazaar
apparently doesn't support file copying, which I find not so nice, though
not that dramatic either.

CU, Ingo

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_revision_control_software