[haiku-development] Re: Programming with S&T

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 4:56 PM, Clemens <clemens.zeidler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 04:28:38 +1200, Travis D. Reed <tdreed@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>  Thanks! True maximaization = zooming without entering full screen. If
>> someone wants to use fullscreen, they can just press F11.
>>

> yes, thats the original function of the zoom button, I don' know why to
> change the semantics for web+? f11 is the shortcut I know.
>
> I would more like a zoom to an optimal size, e.g. using full height but
> just a reasonable width, on wide screens there would still be space beside
> the browser. Maximized windows often look odd on wide screens. Tracker does
> this optimal resize and the old BeIDE did it too which was pretty handy to
> place two editors beside each other. Miss this behaviour in Pe. By the way,
> this was one of the wow things when I first used BeOS, that was so much
> better than just dump maximize the window!
>
> If having more space was the reason for the fullscreen mode I would reduce
> the UI a bit, e.g. chrome and opera are very space efficient in this
> regards...

I assume that this discussion of zoom to "optimal" size vs 100% of screen is
coming from my recent post commenting on stippi's Deskbar Rewrite blog post.
In my post I advocated allowing developers to reuse the Zoom button to go to
100% of the screen ala F11 in some popular browsers. I like the idea, but,
it is a Post-R1 feature at the very earliest. Zoom will, I suspect, remain
the way it is now for the foreseeable future. And that is a good thing.
Allowing Zoom to make the window take 100% of the screen is helpful for
small screen devices like netbooks. Using a standard key such as F11 instead
of the Zoom button might make things more consistent.

My real, and perhaps hidden point, was that Deskbar should not be modified
to support Zooming at this point and that a better solution should be
thought out later.

John Scipione