[haiku-development] PowerPC and the APM

  • From: "Duane Ryan" <bailey.d.r@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 14:49:17 -0400

I've been hacking away at (finally) getting the powerpc version booted
(again?). First of all, the openpic module, crucial to the powerpc
boot sequence, doesn't compile. I have a patch, but it mostly just
does whatever needed to <i>get</i> it compiled; it will definitely
have problems. I'll need to hack around the kernel for more time
before I figure out what I need to do.

But, once openpic compiles, jam struggles through the rest and finally
finishes. Technically, it succeeded, but the disk isn't bootable. I'm
not even really quite sure what it produced; but it's nothing that I
can recognize.

Apple, at the very least, uses the Apple Partition Map (APM) layout to
boot. OpenFirmware, the Apple's New World computer's BIOS, looks at
the first (technically, second: the APM itself counts as a partition)
partition for a file that it can boot. (more info here:
http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/osx/arch_boot.html and here [PDF]:
http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~gerbal/BootX.pdf . So, this is going to be my
main priority over the next few days: creating an image with the three
partitions on it (the APM, the bootstrap, 800k HFS partition, and the
final BFS partition, along with a primitive bootloader.

The cool thing about this map is that, theoretically, both ppc and
apple's i386 macs can boot it, using a universal binary. So if I get
this image working, intel macs will be able to boot this sucker. Cool,
'ey?

After that, I'll take another look at openpic and see what I can do.

Cheers! -Duane