[haiku-development] Re: Partition name localization in Bootman

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare/aka Koki" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 14:54:32 -0700

Howdy,

Michael Pfeiffer wrote on Mon, 15 Mar 2010 21:41:00 +0100

> >> It can't, because it uses the BIOS provided calls to display text,
> >> which uses 8bit encoding, and usually latin1 charset (though asian
> >> BIOSes might use others...) so we can really only rely on US ASCII.
> >
> > So, the best solution I see is :
> > * Adding a note in hta/catkeys to tell the translators to keep
> > using codepage 437 there

This will simply not work for many languages.

> > * Checking that the name the user chosen is also in codepage 437
>
> Bootman somewhat does that already. It shows a preview of the names
> as they will be shown in the boot menu, before the boot loader is
written to disk.

If you are referring to the Summary screen in Bootman, it does not seem
to work the way you describe. I just tried, and the Summary screen
displays the partition names as you enter them in the Partitions screen,
so it does not seem to be taking into account the character set
restriction at all.

Cheers,

Jorge / aka Koki