[haiku-development] Re: Partition Table Woes (Was: Filesystem corruption and Alpha-1)

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 08:44:05 -0300
> Von: "André Braga" <meianoite@xxxxxxxxx>

> Em 02/07/2009, às 03:59, "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> escreveu:
> > You're pretty much on the wrong track here.
>
> Yikes. Colour me puzzled then. So what's that BFS *partition scheme*
> add-on for?

Use the source, Luke! :-)

> > The haiku_loader just scans
> > the disks for known partitioning systems *and* file systems. It never
> > needs an actual partitioning system; but it does check the offset
> > given
> > to it by the stage1 boot loader to see from which partition to boot.
>
> If it's then supposed to find the boot volume independently of it
> being declared on a supported partitioning scheme as long as stage1
> provides a valid offset, well, that's not working for me...

I guess Axel misread you, probably due to your "funny" remark. At least that
was almost prompting me to reply something similar. So, yes, the boot loader
tries to recognize partitions and it can only boot from one that it recognized.
And although the boot loader has been loaded from the would-be boot partition,
it still has to find the partition, since the stage one loader by which it had
been loaded previously had no clue about partitions, just an offset to the boot
partition, which at some point has to be translated to an actual partition
description.

CU, Ingo