[haiku-development] Re: PXE

  • From: Raynald Lesieur <raynald.lesieur@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 14:11:20 +0200

thank all,

On 2007-07-21 at 18:32:55 [+0200], Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 7/21/07, Raynald Lesieur <raynald.lesieur@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> hello,
>
>      I saw recently that progressed ?boot PXE?. Somebody can give an
> explanation as for that implemented? (dhcpd, tftp, files).

Marcus put together some information on this back in January:

//www.freelists.org/archives/openbeos/01-2007/msg00038.html

I knew this previous information, but the continuation is more topicality. Thank you Ingo

It's not quite up to date anymore. We can fully boot Haiku via PXE, now.

The required servers -- TFTP, DHCP, and RemoteDisk -- remain the same. On OpenSUSE I use the "dhcp-server" and "atftp" packages, BTW. For testing I start them manually, which saves doing the inet configuration. Also note that the DHCP server should be the only one in the respective LAN. E.g. if you have a DSL router witch runs a DHCP server, you should disable it.

ok ! TFTP and DHCP works on Beos ( Dano for me ), but I don't know if remotedisk currently exists under our favorite OS. if not, I would test with my distribution Mandriva Spring ( french user obliges ;-) ).

Since the stage 1 PXE loader "pxehaiku" is not used anymore (and does not need to be built), the DHCP server configuration must use "pxehaiku-loader" as filename. Additionally one has to build a netboot archive (haiku-netboot.tgz) and also put it into the TFTP root directory.

    until there, I follows ...

The following lines build what is needed, copy the boot loader and the boot archive to /tftpboot and run the remote disk server (in the foreground):

TARGET_BOOT_PLATFORM=pxe_ia32 jam run cp :pxehaiku-loader /tftpboot
jam run cp :haiku-netboot.tgz /tftpboot
jam run :remote_disk_server :haiku.image

Then you can boot your client.

ATM, using NBD doesn't work (only RemoteDisk). I don't know, whether this is a problem of our NBD driver or our net stack. Once it works, one would have to add a NBD settings file to the boot archive specifying the server to use. Other than that the process is the same; one wouldn't have to build and run the remote_disk_server anymore, of course.

CU, Ingo

    ok ! thanks Ingo.