[haiku-development] Re: PXE

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 19:57:45 +0200

On 2007-07-21 at 18:32:55 [+0200], Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> On 7/21/07, Raynald Lesieur <raynald.lesieur@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > hello,
> >
> >      I saw recently that progressed ?boot PXE?. Somebody can give an
> > explanation as for that implemented? (dhcpd, tftp, files).
>
> Marcus put together some information on this back in January:
>
> //www.freelists.org/archives/openbeos/01-2007/msg00038.html

It's not quite up to date anymore. We can fully boot Haiku via PXE, now.

The required servers -- TFTP, DHCP, and RemoteDisk -- remain the same. On
OpenSUSE I use the "dhcp-server" and "atftp" packages, BTW. For testing I
start them manually, which saves doing the inet configuration. Also note
that the DHCP server should be the only one in the respective LAN. E.g. if
you have a DSL router witch runs a DHCP server, you should disable it.

Since the stage 1 PXE loader "pxehaiku" is not used anymore (and does not
need to be built), the DHCP server configuration must use "pxehaiku-loader"
as filename. Additionally one has to build a netboot archive
(haiku-netboot.tgz) and also put it into the TFTP root directory.

The following lines build what is needed, copy the boot loader and the boot
archive to /tftpboot and run the remote disk server (in the foreground):

TARGET_BOOT_PLATFORM=pxe_ia32 jam run cp :pxehaiku-loader /tftpboot
jam run cp :haiku-netboot.tgz /tftpboot
jam run :remote_disk_server :haiku.image

Then you can boot your client.

ATM, using NBD doesn't work (only RemoteDisk). I don't know, whether this
is a problem of our NBD driver or our net stack. Once it works, one would
have to add a NBD settings file to the boot archive specifying the server
to use. Other than that the process is the same; one wouldn't have to build
and run the remote_disk_server anymore, of course.

CU, Ingo