[haiku-development] Re: OpenSSL inclusion in image

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 23:41:06 +0200 CEST

Pier Luigi Fiorini <pierluigi.fiorini@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> during IM Kit porting I noticed that the Haiku source tree doesn't
> have
> OpenSSL.
> I am wondering why it hasn't been included just like other libraries
> like FreeType, it's available only as optional package but it makes
> impossible to build gtalk and msn protocol add-ons from 3rdparty.
> Is there a reson why OpenSSL cannot be compiled building a Haiku
> image?

It's big, and there is absolutely no reason to have it in our tree. It
should definitely be part of the distribution, though. libfreetype.so
is a (tiny) bit differently, as it is customized when built.

In any case, its absence shouldn't stop you from using it. Just have a
look at how it's done for our mail add-ons.
There, if you want to compile the add-ons with SSL support, all you
have to do is unzip the optional image at a specific location
(generated/cross-ssl by default, but that can be overridden by
exporting SSL_DIR), export USE_SSL=1 and it'll work.
The Jamfile changes look like this:

if $(USE_SSL) {
        SubDirC++Flags -DUSE_SSL ;
        if ! $(SSL_DIR) {
                sslDir = [ FDirName $(HAIKU_OUTPUT_DIR) cross-ssl config ] ;
        } else {
                sslDir = $(SSL_DIR) ;
        }
        SubDirSysHdrs [ FDirName $(sslDir) include ] ;
}

HTH.

Bye,
   Axel.