[haiku-development] Re: OpenSSH / BSD libedit histedit.h shenanigans

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2015 17:23:14 +0200

On 04.07.2015 16:43, Alexander von Gluck IV wrote:

On , Alexander von Gluck IV wrote:
Good morning,

The libedit package provides /boot/system/headers/histedit.h
We provide
http://cgit.haiku-os.org/haiku/tree/headers/compatibility/bsd/histedit.h

The bsd one is wrapped in _BSD_SOURCE

OpenSSH picks up the bsd/histedit.h and the build fails as _BSD_SOURCE
isn't defined.

Do we want to:
A) Add CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -D_BSD_SOURCE" to the openssh recipe?
B) Drop bsd/histedit.h to make sure libedit is used?

A seems a lot easier, but i'm not sure if it is the "correct" way to
go. If we went
A, is libedit even a dependency anymore? (I guess we provide our own
libedit somewhere?)

I've tested A as working.

headers/compatibility/bsd/histedit.h is the header for src/libs/edit

I should note the following things use histedit.h:

src/apps/debugger
src/bin/bc
src/bin/network/ftp

This might be a candidate for outsourcing as we have a working
libedit recipe / package...

It is already on the list [1].

however one more thing to throw into
the bootstrap pool :-\

bc and ftp can (and should) be outsourced as well and neither is required for the bootstrap process AFAICT.

Debugger is currently in the minimum image and therefore also in the bootstrap image. libedit is used for its CLI user interface. I guess, if necessary, the dependency could be made conditional, so that it can be removed for the bootstrap image build. OTOH libedit's dependencies are all in bootstrap set already and I don't expect it to be problematic to cross-build. So it might not be worth it to bother.

CU, Ingo

[1] https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/10267