[haiku-development] Re: OS & WebKit builds

  • From: David McPaul <dlmcpaul@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 17:03:27 +1000

2009/6/2 David Himelright <david.himelright@xxxxxxxxx>:

> On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 12:59 AM, Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 12:27 AM, David Himelright
>> <david.himelright@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> >
>> > 1) What's a likely safe minimum memory for building haiku with gcc4
>> > under
>> > haiku?
>>
>> Probably at least 512 MB, though that might be pushing it and 768 MB
>> or 1 GB would be better.
>
> Hrm. Under virtualization the haiku-alpha-gcc4 guest OS had 512mb of real
> memory and was living on a 4gb disk image with an additional 512mb virtual
> memory enabled. I was still seeing process fork errors with jam. The same
> build tools compiled for ubuntu running in the host OS cut through that
> source code like a hot chainsaw through a pile of leaves. I don't think I
> can recompile the linux kernel quicker on this machine, and that's written
> in c for pete's sake.

To build Haiku under Haiku I need 1.5Gb of memory.  (I have 1Gb real
and 512Mb virtual)

> I just guessed that memory usage and speed must have something to do with
> filesystem performance under haiku because that seemed to be the source of
> earlier performance gripes (offhand comment from the google tech talk a
> couple of years ago, my subjective experience with the emulated os).
>
> I'll try to boot a haiku partition with grub and see if I get better
> results.

I rarely build the entire source tree but when I do so I go elsewhere
for a while.

>> >   b) and what sorts of profiling tools are Haiku developers using?
>>
>> I don't know much about this myself, though I will probably learn
>> about it soon. I know vaguely that Ingo has been putting interesting
>> tracing and profiling stuff in the kernel, and I know various efforts
>> have been made to profile the app_server. Hopefully others will answer
>> this question in more detail.
>
> Please do! I normally do apps development in Java and I'm a bit spoiled when
> it comes to easy to use profiling and instrumentation tools, also a bit
> dependent upon them (my write it quick and dirty now, optimize later
> approach).

For me a good code editor and command line is about all I use.  But
this is C++ development so all those nice Java things are not going to
be there.  Nothing like a segfault to make you appreciate Java error
messages.

I might try and see if the Be Debugger will work under Haiku.  That
might give us a source level debugger.
The profile command always crashed Haiku for me so I do most profiling
using systemtime and printf statements.

>> > Has any kind of universal binary package format
>> > situation seen any consideration by planners?

I believe some developers are working to all Haiku to run a mix of
Gcc2 and Gcc4 apps.  I am not certain if the PowerPC and ARM ports are
in a state where packaging all formats is useful.

--
Cheers
David