[haiku-development] Re: New way to access subversion for developers

2008/6/14 Michael Lotz <mmlr@xxxxxxxx>:
>>> svn: Unrecognized URL scheme
>>> 'https://oruizdorantes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/svnroot/repos/haiku/haiku/trunk'
>> > >
>> I guess this means that the BeOS/Zeta port has to be updated to
>> support the https scheme. It is currently not possible to commit any
>> changes with the current svn client.
>
> I am sorry, but I find this unacceptable. I use BeOS as my only
> operating system and have 4 machines with a total of 8 repositories
> (counting buildtools) using the svn+ssh method plus a few with
> anonymous svn. I have currently three commits ready but I am now just
> unable to commit them? Doing such a switch without prior warnings so
> that people needing updated binaries for their platform have at least a
> chance of continuing working is IMO just very bad practice. I usually
> liked the BerliOS hosting because it worked pretty well for me, but
> moves like this are just unacceptable and I have to vote for moving
> hosts ASAP. Especially for an institution hosting open source software
> and helping alternative operating systems I cannot believe the
> ignorance displayed by that. I sure hope that this is just another
> temporary thing that has been exceptionally badly communicated.

While we are on topic, I'd like to understand if everybody think that
staying with a centralized version control system instead of a decentralized
like git or mercurial is still a good idea?

Salvatore Benedetto (a.k.a. emitrax)
Student of Computer Engineer
University of Pisa
www.haiku-os.it