[haiku-development] Re: New project: Address book and calendar app

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 08:14:16 +0200

Jorge G. Mare wrote:

> > > Using files with attributes would be nice, but is there a standard set
> > > of attributes for event files that all apps can comply with (and thus
> > > avoid different apps using different attributes for the same purpose)?
> >
> > There are some existing apps, but I don't think they are widely used.
>
> I am curious: would it be beyond the scope of this kind of project to
> propose a standard set of BFS attributes for event files?

A meeting like you discussed later is nice. However, a lot of systems came
to BeOS and the good ones set the standards which others followed. (Even
the Translation Kit is such an assimilated system).

What I would really like to see is a dynamic People application, which
adapts itself to User Defined Attributes! There is no real challenge here
as far as coding goes, except for the problem to make the GUI somehow
deterministic and agreeably ordered. (There is a way for Tracker to
associate GUI hints to attributes (editable, alignment, width), and
FileTypes supports that, but maybe it can be extended (grouping, order).)

The same goes for the calendar application. Doing it based on an Event file
type with attributes is a nice way to go about it. I know there is at least
one implementation already out there which does it like that. But somehow I
didn't find myself using it as much. Maybe it's either because I usually
put events into my phone (read the implementation needs a synchronization
feature), or because there was something nice missing to round it off, like
a good calendar view of all events or something.

Best regards,
-Stephan