[haiku-development] Re: New Screen Pref

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 13:00:47 +0200

Hi Fredrik,
> >> I was thinking of making some changes in to the screen pref. Like
> >> adding support for NVidia card the same way Radeon card has but UI
> >> found some comments that the radeon implementation was bad and
> >> BeOS/Haiku didn't have any good implementation for duel monitors.
> >>
> >> So what have to be done to native support duel monitors? What will
> >> break that we don't have the source to?
> >>
> >> I would like to develop on Zeta will that brake?
> >>
> >> First thing that comes to mind after reading the screen pref code and
> >> DualHeadSetup_0.04 are that the struck display_mode must be expanded
> >> and the lib that will be broken are libbe.so right?
> >>
> >> Can this implementation be made such way that Zeta/BeOS are not broken
> >> perhaps only need new/updated drivers?
> >
> > Obviously nothing will be broken if you implement what was already
> > there on
> > R5/ZETA. The Screen preflet can do what DualHeadSetup did before, that
> > would break nothing. The additional options were communicated to the
> > driver
> This are what I found in Screenwindow.cpp and it look's like screen pref
> only supports duel monitors/tv out on Radeon.

[...]

yes, it says that, but please have a look at the DualHeadSetup application
source if it doesn't use the same protocol after all. Have you confirmed
that? If it does not use the same protocol (ie same additional flags
defined for the display_mode flags), then your next option is to change the
nvidia driver to do use the same protocol. :-)

Best regards,
-Stephan