[haiku-development] Re: New Haiku IDE

On 2009-10-03 at 02:52:02 [+0800], Caitlin Shaw <rogueeve@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> > + continuous compilation
> > + refactoring support
> >
> What is "continuous compilation"? Is that where, as soon as you "dirty"
> a document, the editor starts recompiling the whole project in a
> low-priority background thread, like to a temp dir? Then when you're
> done and hit "build", it's already done almost all the work while you
> were busy thinking?

It would of course only rebuild the stuff that needs to be rebuild. Also,
you'd never have to hit "build", since the project would always be in a built
state. E.g. the JDT for Eclipse (Java) does something like this. Whenever you
save a source file everything that needs to be updated is updated immediately
in the background. It usually never takes more than a few seconds and doesn't
negatively affect the workflow.

> I already planned to write something to do the above description. I
> didn't realize the idea had a name, though (well lol, of course somebody
> else had already thought of it :)).

Not sure, if it had a name or whether or not it was the above one -- I might
just have made it up. :-)

> From a brief web search it sounds
> like "continuous compilation" may also involve pointing out potential
> errors as you make them, instead of waiting until build stage; which is
> a good idea I hadn't thought of.

Absolutely. In Eclipse that seem to be two different things, though: Errors
are underlined while typing (with a short delay to not annoy you) and things
are fully rebuilt/updated after saving. I don't see why those two couldn't be
unified, though.

CU, Ingo