[haiku-development] Re: New Haiku IDE

  • From: Pier Luigi Fiorini <pierluigi.fiorini@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 12:46:34 +0200

2009/10/2 DarkWyrm <darkwyrm@xxxxxxxxx>

> Pier Luigi Fiorini wrote:
>
>> 2009/10/1 Salvatore Benedetto <salvatore.benedetto@xxxxxxxxx
>> <mailto:salvatore.benedetto@xxxxxxxxx>>
>>
>>    I'd rather see only one well organized, well coordinated, well designed
>>    (like eclipse), well integrated with Haiku (and the debugger)
>>    than many efforts like we have in seen (Niue, Paladin etc..) so far.
>>
>> That would be better indeed.
>> What do Niue, Palading and Sisong authors do think?
>>

>  Paladin came about after working with the Niue sources for a little
> while last October. The project editor code is OK, but the editor
> sources are a mess that is hardly what I'd call maintainable. If you
> look at the Yate, you'll see what I mean. I say this only as my own
> opinion of the code and not to rip on the hard work that Tako and
> urnenfeld have put into it. Anyway, I started it because the niche
> needed filled and I couldn't bear to not scratch the itch any longer.
>
> With that being said, judging from the marked differences between the
> projects, I'm not so sure that the diversity is such a bad thing. SHINTA
> is doing a nice job with a visual editor, something which I've wanted to
> do but haven't had the time. Sisong has a very different approach to what I
> think an IDE should be, but it doesn't make it or Paladin any better or
> worse.
>
> Yes, it would be better to have three developers working on the same IDE.
> Progress would be better, for example, but the way I like to work is very
> different from they way that, say, Axel or Ingo does. Different developers,
> different tools. :)

I see.

The direction it's taking is not bad at all if it ends with libraries for
the most common parts of an IDE, it would be a matter of implementing a
particular workflow for every IDE and reusing the same components (such as a
text editor, completion, build system integration, ...) will help not
waisting resources on implementing the same thing over and over.

--
Some companies die
Be's beauty lives forever