[haiku-development] Re: New Haiku IDE

On 2009-10-02 at 00:19:04 [+0800], Clemens zeidler
<clemens.zeidler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 11:04:18 +0200, Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > IMHO, if we don't break through this "barrier", IDEs for Haiku will stay
> > below what could be possible. They will all be nice, each in their own
> > way,
> > depending on what the developer focused on, but I doubt they will become
> > as
> > advanced as Eclipse for example. I also think the chances for success are
> > way better if more people were to work on one project. Obviously that
> > means
> > that if people who have now started their IDE projects, who are really
> > interested in joining, need to pick one of the projects as the successor
>
> What I more like to see are some system wide libraries like:
> - syntax highlighting
> - code completion
> - class browser

+ continuous compilation
+ refactoring support

IMHO these features are really based on the hard part of an IDE, because to
do them right, you need to actually parse C++ to understand the code
structure. And to be able to parse C++ one needs to know how the compiler is
invoked (think "-D" options), which requires understanding the build system
in the first place.

As Stephan already proposed, starting with a library to understand the build
system (be it Jamfile or whatever) is a good first step. The second would be
a library extracting the source code structure (and details). Ideally it
would be fast (e.g. working iteratively) and error tolerant (particularly
when live parsing while editing). Once that is done most of the features
listed above should be relatively easy to implement.

CU, Ingo