[haiku-development] Re: New Haiku IDE

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 23:53:18 -0400

On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 11:32 PM, Ankur Sethi <get.me.ankur@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It would be a good idea to keep the IDE and the interface designer
> separate, and communicate via BMessages. That way, one person/team can
> write a UI designer and every existing IDE can use it. Same goes for
> build tools, resource editors, foobar.
>
> I really like the Paladin approach. The IDE only manages your project
> structure, and relies on external applications for editing and
> building.

I think most of us would agree that the modular approach is smart. I
really like the idea from Stephan to build on Jam and make a faster
and more interactive build system that could be leveraged by various
other development tools. I think the same approach could be used for
an interface builder, code completion, project management, etc.

While it might be a little heavyweight, I've been looking at
OpenBinder recently
(http://www.angryredplanet.com/~hackbod/openbinder/docs/html/index.html.)
Since this was supposed to be the next generation of BeOS APIs, I
think it might be worth exploring. Maybe when I have more time when
the browser is further along I will get this compiling on Haiku and
see what can be put together. While we might be able to achieve a
similar thing with just BMessages, Scripting APIs and replicants, I
think the general idea of modular component code is definitely worth
exploring.

The important thing here for IDEs is just to have an open mind and for
each developer to be willing to work together in areas that make sense
for collaboration.

--
Regards,
Ryan