[haiku-development] Re: New Haiku IDE

  • From: Salvatore Benedetto <salvatore.benedetto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 17:05:56 +0200

2009/10/1 Bruno Albuquerque <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>>> Unfortunately this is wishful thinking. People will work on whatever they
>>> want to. I am not seeing a coordinated effort would not be good tough. I
>>> am
>>> just saying that it is very unlikely it would happen and, meanwhile, I
>>> welcome any good quality product that comes to the platform. No matter
>>> how
>>> many different versions of it. :)
>>>

>> Well, it is happening with Haiku itself and all its main application
>> (see browser,
>> mediaplayer, Debugger). Why shouldn't/couldn't happen for the IDE as well?
>
> It is not.
>
> Browser efforts (including ports): Firefox, Netsurf, Links, Webkit browser,
> Chromium.

I'm sorry but personally I wouldn't consider Netsurf or Links. Firefox port
is of course a huge and appreciated effort, but what I see and what I
was referring
about is the effort of Ryan (an official Haiku dev) and Maxime in developing
one official Haiku browser.

> Mediaplayer: VLC, our media player. Probably someone is also trying an
> MPlayer port by now.

Same as above. Stephan, David and (maybe) others are working hard in order
to have THE (official) media player for Haiku.

> Debugger is a special thing as it is a included app developed by the Haiku
> project itself (well, Ingo actually, but you get the idea). The reason no
> one is doing a different debugger is probably simply because there are no
> easy ones to be ported or because it is simply way to difficult to write a
> debugger.
>
> Point is: We can not control thrid-party development.

Did I state the opposite somewhere? :-)

I agree with you. We can not control third-part development.

My point is: haiku dev team could guide the development of an official
Haiku IDE,
by doing the design and inviting other IDE dev to join the process.

It's only my idea of course.

S.