[haiku-development] New Feature on dev.haiku-os.org: Attachment Flags

  • From: Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 17:25:38 +0200

Hello,

I would like to announce a new feature on dev.haiku-os.org: attachent
flags. Inspired by the problem that patches sometimes seem to get lost
on dev.haiku-os.org, this feature allows patches to be more visible in
the ticket queries.[1]

The implementation is inspired by BugZilla's attachment flags (though
a bit less evolved). Attachment flags are properties that can be set
on attachments.

TWO PROPERTIES

There are two properties available. The first one is the *patch*
property, which marks an attachment as a patch. When an attachment is
marked as a patch, the ticket that it is attached to sets the 'Has a
Patch' flag to true. In the query screen,[2] you can find tickets with
patches.

The second property is the *obsolete* property. When this property is
set, the attachment is stricken through in the interface. See for
example ticket #3298 for how this looks. This property is especially
useful as an alternative to deleting attachments. That operation is
non-reversible and as such restricted to administrators.

For every property, the person that requested it, and the time that it
was requested, is set. You can find it at the attachment details page.
See for example MarkAs-wim.patch [4]

ACCESS RIGHTS

There are three rules:
 * Anyone can view attachment flags
 * Anyone can set and unset flags on attachment they uploaded
 * Developers can set and unset flags on all attachments.

SUGGESTED WORKFLOW

While a system like Bugzilla offers more flags, including a 'review'
flag, I would like to try and see how far we can come with this
system. First of all, there is a default query on the top of the Query
page [2] that immediately gives a list of all the open tickets with a
patch. I hope developers are willing to check that query often.

Then for reviewing. Bugzilla allows for people to explicitly set
review requests, and also to show the result of the review. For now, I
would actually like to try whether it also works by 'simply' marking
the attachment obsolete when it is rejected (with the appropriate
comments in the ticket itself). An obsolete patch will not show up in
the ticket query for patches.

FUTURE ENHANCEMENTS
I would like to come back in a month or so and evaluate whether this
system increases the acceptance rate of patches and whether or not we
need to tweak it.

This can mean anything from adding additional fields (like a 'review'
field) to a mailing list where all patches are sent to.

Nonetheless I first want to see how this workflow goes, I think it is
unobtrusive and flexible enough to both meet the demands and not get
in the way.

FINALLY

Please report all anomalies or regressions. This is new work, tested
only in a limited environment. This might break something (like the
permission problem this weekend, which was actually in another
module).

If you would like to get your hands on the source, it is published at:
http://hg.haiku-os.org/trac-attachmentflags/

You can also find our other custom-made Trac enhancements there.

Enjoy!

[1]
http://dev.haiku-os.org/query?status=assigned&status=in-progress&status=new&status=reopened&patch=1
[2] http://dev.haiku-os.org/query