[haiku-development] My take on the (kernel) discussion

  • From: Joshua E.Horn <joshua.horn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 14:06:46 -0500

Hey everyone,

I've been monitoring the talk on Haiku and it's kernel / using the Linux kernel.

I think (myself) that Haiku is going in the right direction and should continue to develop it's own kernel. Maybe however, using the Linux kernel is not a bad idea either, since it is well matured and constantly used. Maybe Haiku could do like what the GNU project does, they have their own kernel (GNU/Hurd) but since it is still in heavy, heavy development they use the Linux kernel. I actually have been working on my own BeOS clone based on Linux called "RedPyramid". It emulates the BeOS desktop environment. I would someday like to add a BeOS API layer for my distro, (like Wine on Linux).

Joshua E. Horn
e-Mail: joshua.horn@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cell #: 1(210)-587-9054