[haiku-development] Re: My First Haiku Project?

  • From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 12:25:46 -0400

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 9:30 AM, Michael Crawford <mdcrawford@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I expect I can do that Sunday.  But I have a question:
>
> If I have an 80 Gig disk, and I want four operating systems, Ubuntu,
> BeOS 5 Pro, "Haiku Stable" and "Haiku Unstable", how many Gb do you
> recommend I devote to each system?
>
> I'm asking because it's hard to back out from such an initial
> decision, if one's filesystems aren't resizable.

Yes, that is understandable. I would do, more or less, the following:

Primary partition 1: BFS, BeOS R5 Pro, 15 GB
Primary partition 2: BFS, Haiku stable, 20 GB
Primary partition 3, BFS, Haiku unstable, 2 GB
Extended partition,
   Linux ext3 (or whatever), 41 GB,
   Linux swap, 2 GB

Now you could probably pull some space from the Linux ext3 to put on
the BeOS or Haiku stable partitions if you think you might need more
room. But in general BeOS or Haiku don't need much space for
applications and such. The extra space on Haiku stable is for the
Haiku source and build environment so that you can eventually start
building Haiku on Haiku. The 41 GB for Linux is probably way too much
if you are simply using it for building Haiku and nothing else. But I
do think that 2 GB is probably enough for the Haiku unstable if the
main point of that is for testing the latest builds. The current base
Haiku install is only about 80 MB I think.

Welcome aboard. I have seen OggFrog before and have listened to some
of your piano music. I am glad you are joining us in working on Haiku.

Regards,
Ryan