[haiku-development] Re: My First Haiku Project?

  • From: "Michael Crawford" <mdcrawford@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 04:15:07 -0700

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 1:56 AM, Zenja Solaja <solaja@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  The mailing list / community consensus has been (and someone please correct
> me if I'm wrong) that it is still premature for LiveCD's.

That's fine.  We don't need to actually provide an image on the
website for end-user download.

I would argue that it would benefit us to automate the production and
testing of CD images so that they could be generated any time a
nightly VMWare or disk image is generated.

I've done a lot of release engineering over the years, and it's always
very painful to get a release just right if the whole release process
isn't completely automated.  One forgets to "make clean" in some
directory, or on the Mac OS, one burns a hard drive to CD without
emptying the Trash first so that insertion of the CD always puts a
file in the Trash, that cannot then be emptied!

The benefit to everyone of my proposal is that when Haiku finally does
go Alpha, an Alpha LiveCD would automagically appear in the right
place, without anyone having to screw around with preparing it.

> I'm personally going down the 'content' path ie. making software for Haiku.

That's actually my main project too - my software being Ogg Frog and Spellswell.

I do understand the importance of apps to any operating system's
success, so they'll both help Haiku.  But I'd like to contribute code
directly to Haiku itself.  It means a great to me, with any project I
work on, to be able to demonstrate it to my friends and family then
say "See that - right there?  I did that!"

I've actually quit really good jobs before, that paid well, where all
my coworkers and my managers thought I was the best thing since sliced
bread, because I couldn't point to anything that was my specific
contribution.

Michael Lotz discussed the problem of the CD image format, and the
need for special burning tools.

I'd be a good one to work on that as well, as Ogg Frog will include a
CD burner.  I've done them before.

For now I'd burn with some off-the-shelf tool, but I expect I could
create an image format that, if it couldn't be burned with any
standard burner, then perhaps we could provide a dead-simple burning
tool that runs on any platform, that just burns our image format.

Ogg Frog itself is meant to burn just audio CDs, but I've always
intended to burn ISOs as well, just as a convenience to the user.  I
got the idea when I was stuck on a Windows box, needed to burn just a
tiny little ISO, and was unable to find a free Windows burner anywhere
on the Internet that worked worth a damn.

Mike
--
Michael David Crawford
mdcrawford at gmail dot com

   Enjoy my art, photography, music and writing at
http://www.geometricvisions.com/
        --- Free Compact Disc ---