[haiku-development] Re: My First Haiku Project?

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 10:42:28 +0200

Hi,

Nick wrote:
> >As Axel has already mentioned, Vesa under Haiku is suprisingly fast.
> >I've got the NV8800GT, and the >2D speed under Haiku for development is
> >amazingly usable.
>
> VESA is fast but 2D acceleration is even better/faster. :-)

I have one system here with 2D acceleration which has a problem with MTRR
setup or something similar. The system is very slow when I boot it with the
Radeon driver (any frame buffer writing in the app_server), but works fine
when booting in VESA mode (accept the resolution of the screen is not in
the list). So YMMV. But I would actually like to test some aspects of using
a driver with acceleration, and I just realized that I still have an unused
nVidia board that should be supported (though without video-overlay). Yeah,
going to check that out. Still need to see how my double buffering with
acceleration works out.

Best regards,
-Stephan