[haiku-development] Re: My First Haiku Project?

  • From: "Michael Crawford" <mdcrawford@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 10:29:57 -0700

Hi All,

I'm actually now working on setting up my Linux / 5 Pro / Haiku / Haiku box.

It sounds like the most useful contribution I could make to Haiku in
the short term would be to enable FireWire debugging.  Given my past
experience with FireWire, I don't think that would be very difficult
for me.

So unless someone else feels the urge to do it, I'll give it a shot.

I would actually like to support multiple protocols.  It sounds like
most of you would prefer BSD's protocol, so I'll do that first, but it
would be handy to also support Apple's protocol, because that would
enable using a Mac for the UI without requiring a special build of
GDB.

But would it be a problem to use Apple Public Source License code in
the Haiku kernel?  Their license requires that the source to any
modified APSL-licensed files be submitted back to Apple.

Perhaps it would be OK if I made it a compile-time configuration
option, so that the stock Haiku kernel wouldn't contain any APSL code,
but you could use it if you wanted to.

I was delighted to discover that the PC I'm using, which I scored for
free off of FreeCycle, has a Matrox PCI (PCI!  Not AGP!) video card,
3Com 3C509B ISA ethernet, and SoundBlaster AWE64 ISA sound card.

Oh, those were the days.  My FreeCycle PC, for which I paid the grand
total of USD $0.00, is very, very close to the same specs as the PC I
used to run the first version of Intel BeOS, and for which I paid
about a grand.

But I don't have room on my desk for a second monitor, and my Mac has
DVI video, so in a little bit I'm going to go to Micro Center in Santa
Clara to buy an IOGear 4-port DVI KVM switch, and an ATI Radeon X1050
AGP DVI video card.

I wasn't able to get a clear answer as to whether the X1050 would work
with Haiku, but it should work using the VESA driver.  If it's not
actually supported, possibly all it will take for native 2-D support
is to add its PCI device ID to Haiku's Radeon driver.

I'm also going to buy a PCI FireWire card.  I'm not sure which model
I'll get, but I'm going to try to get one with both 400 and 800 ports.

Intrepidly,

Mike
--
Michael David Crawford
mdcrawford at gmail dot com

   Enjoy my art, photography, music and writing at
http://www.geometricvisions.com/
        --- Free Compact Disc ---