[haiku-development] Re: My First Haiku Project?

  • From: "Rene Gollent" <anevilyak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 21:09:41 -0500

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 7:28 PM, Donn Cave <donn@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Well, I can only speak from experience - building from Haiku has worked
> fine for me.  Like I say, if you already have other uses for a Linux
> partition, that's a different matter, but I personally wouldn't go there
> just for shorter builds (I didn't know that - since the compiler would be
> the same, would the extra time be mostly BFS filesystem?)

A lot of things go into it, most of it is kernel performance at
various tasks like context switching, process creation/teardown,
memory allocation, filesystem / cache / I/O scheduling...all areas
where Haiku is comparatively young and not yet very performance tuned,
hence the speed difference. BFS can slow it down somewhat as well,
since file creation / deletion by necessity also involves updating
whatever indices those files belong to, which doesn't occur on other
OSes. That's not enough to account for anything close to a 5 fold
performance difference on its own though.

Regards,

Rene