[haiku-development] Re: Moving clock options to Time Preferences

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 21:57:38 +0000

On Nov 14, 2012 4:29 PM, "Ingo Weinhold" <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:

> On 11/14/2012 08:47 PM, Axel DÃrfler wrote:
>>
>> On 11/14/2012 06:48 PM, Ryan Leavengood wrote:
>>>
>>> 4) It is the BeOS way.
>>

>> Hm, our Deskbar comes from BeOS, so this is debatable ;-)
>

> I wish people would stop using this non-argument to rectify or emphasize
their opinion. Though maybe I just haven't truly understood what "The
Be[OS] way" is. I always thought of it having something to do with "Use
sane defaults!" and maybe also "Don't get in the user's way!". But those
are common sense, anyway. Maybe someone can point me to an authoritative
definition?

FWIW, we should collaborate on documenting the overall design direction and
thought process for developing Haiku and applications to run on it.  E.g.,
Mentioning developing the proper general solution instead of a quick hack
to make it work in a narrow scope.  The idea of reuse as much as possible,
instead of duplicating functionality, a complete coding style by examples.

All if that documentation will help to lower the barrier for new
contributors. After all, we are all continuing to grow older (despite our
best efforts!)

--mmadia