[haiku-development] Re: Moving clock options to Time Preferences

  • From: John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 13:54:43 -0500

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Rene Gollent <anevilyak@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 8:52 AM, Stephan AÃmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
>> Also, I fail to see the agrument behind "having to search where this option
>> is". You just right-click the Clock and configure it in whatever opens in
>> response to picking "Configure clock".
>
> If a right click option exists that just takes you there, then that's
> fine. I was simply pointing out that if I'm looking for how to
> configure a clock displayed in an app, then my search order is going
> to be right click, if not there, app settings, and only if not there
> would I even begin to think to look in the system prefs. Hence my
> disagreement with having the time preflet be the only place to find
> those settings. If a right click menu will get me directly there then
> my objection goes away.

I was thinking that right clicking on the Deskbar clock and selecting
Time preferences (perhaps renamed Clock preferences??) would open you
up right to the Clock tab in Time preferences, but selecting Time
Preferences from the Preferences list (or Tracker, or hey, etc.) would
bring you to the first tab like always.

I agree with Stippi and Ingo that the clock is not necessarily a part
of Deskbar from the user's POV even if it is technically part of
Deskbar from our POV so clock options make more sense, or at least
equal sense, in Time. Also there is by design one-and-only-one clock
so the argument that this setting affects a specific instance of a
clock in Deskbar is invalid (IMHO of course).

As far as the tall Deskbar preferences go, I don't know how else to
solve the problem. It would look even worse horizontally or with a
missing quadrant. I could see perhaps reorganizing the window like
Tracker preferences with a list view on the left hand side and each
box on the right in a separate view but then we lose having all the
options on the screen at once.

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 2:18 AM, Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> How about giving the Deskbar clock its own settings panel and add
> another item in its context menu "Clock settings...".

That's an option, but Time is appropriate and has the added benefit
that you can also set other time related preferences. All time related
preferences are consolidated in one place (except the 12/24 setting in
Locale). The 'Clock settings...' context menu item would simply bring
up the Clock tab in Time.

> That way the clock replicant could easily be replaced without side
> effects. Or, if the clock should gain more functions (like an alarm,
> days of the week display, another font, size, blinking, yodeling what
> have you) that wouldn't burden the Deskbar/Time/Locale preference panel.

IMHO that suggestion falls under the category of "sane defaults, not
maximum configurability". We don't want to provide those options, and
if we did, this would be the place we'd do it. At least for the time
being, correct me if I'm wrong, there is no plan to make the clock
replaceable with a new more feature-ful clock widget so you're adding
requirements that don't make sense. Either the clock options are
deemed worthy of inclusion, and thus are added here, or, are not, and
are added nowhere.

Now if I'm wrong here and we do want to allow for 3rd party clock
widgets in Deskbar then I could see having the clock options window
separate from Time, still, we wouldn't want the clock options in
Deskbar prefs either. We'd need to remove the clock from Deskbar and
make it a proper Deskbar applet. Any takers here?

John Scipione