[haiku-development] Re: Moving clock options to Time Preferences

  • From: Stephan AÃmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 14:52:06 +0100

Am 12.11.2012 14:14, schrieb Rene Gollent:
On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 3:08 AM, Stephan AÃmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
Actually, it isn't at all clear that this is a Deskbar setting. The clock is
displayed in the area where other applications and services install "stuff",
commonly known as the tray area. For all the user knows, the clock in that
area could come from some independent "time service" that is configured via
the Time preflet. That the clock happens to come from Deskbar itself is just
an implementation detail. So as you can see, it is not clear at all where to
look for settings to configure it's appearance.

I'm going to have to disagree there, for the simple reason that
Deskbar isn't the only app that necessarily displays a clock. The only
things I'd logically expect to find in the system time preferences is
precisely things that take effect system-wide and affect every app, as
time of day/time zone does. The format of the individual clocks is
exactly the kind of thing I would not be looking for there since
different apps would display that in varying ways depending on
purpose, i.e. I might want just minute precision in Deskbar, while in
a stopwatch app I would obviously want something more precise. Even if
something like the latter came bundled with the OS, that wouldn't be a
logical reason to also stuff its visual configuration in the time
preflet, and I've gone through precisely this merry-go-round on some
other OSes, and found it irritating to put it mildly.

What about the Media preflet that has an option to show the volume control in the Deskbar? Why is that not part of the Deskbar settings then? What if the user is not even using Deskbar, but a different app for that purpose?

I am not saying that the option "Show volume control in Deskbar" should be removed from the Media preflet. I think it makes perfect sense there. To me, it makes just as much sense to have "Show clock in Deskbar" in the Time preflet. And to be able to configure display settings of this option there. And there are many more apps that install stuff in the Deskbar, in the very same area as the clock is displayed.

Why is the clock configuration a Deskbar setting and the volume icon, ProcessController, Network status, Power status and other tray items are the settings of their respective application? (I know perfectly well that Deskbar renders the clock itself, I am just saying, it may still make perfect sense to configure it via the Time preflet.)

Also, I fail to see the agrument behind "having to search where this option is". You just right-click the Clock and configure it in whatever opens in response to picking "Configure clock".

Best regards,
-Stephan