[haiku-development] Re: Mounted Volumes

  • From: "Duane Ryan" <bailey.d.r@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 08:58:34 -0400

Haiku is trying to do two things at once: Build an operating system
from ten years ago and build an operating system from today. The way I
see it, there's no real reason to make it <i>look</i> as if it's ten
years old, just make it <i>compatible</i> with ten year old binaries
(a long with the same interface, APIs, etc). So the argument that
Haiku should name its Menu because a ten year old operating system
does for the sake of similarity is not really making complete sense to
me. And not naming a menu because vista does means that Vista has
already done; of all the things that I would have chosen to compare
Vista and Haiku, the menu would be one of the last items I would
choose. And if by making the interface cleaner Haiku reminds you of
vista, then vista must look pretty damn good; Haiku has managed to
take the original UI and make it look Kick Ass.

So... I guess I just like the interface looking clean. This means less
text overall; I think that a menu labeled 'Menu' is rather redundant
and unnecessary after the first run or so. Anyway, I rather associate
the leaf with Haiku now, though if you really want to associate it,
you're going to have to make some changes to the default logo. Instead
of three feathers, you need one feather, prominently figured. This
will move the feather's status from being an attribute off the logo to
being the center of the logo; the name "Haiku" will name the feather
and the operating system, thereby linking the two.

Oh dear, I did it again.

--
Duane