[haiku-development] Re: Mounted Volumes

  • From: "Dustin Howett" <alaricx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 23:11:38 -0400

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 10:48 PM, Nick <tonestone57@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2) Leaf Deskbar looks more like KDE/Vista - both of which look unappealing
> to me.  I still use XP and may never upgrade to another Windows ( may have
> to for work though ).  I wonder why most of the popular Linux distros out
> there use Gnome instead of KDE then?

If you look, they're pretty even.

> 3) Haiku has moved very close to KDE/Vista look.  Using text on the Deskbar
> makes it a little balanced ( adds in a little Gnome feel/look to the Deskbar
> ).  Yes, I like using Gnome Linux.  Is everyone here using KDE Linux then?

Haiku looks and feels nothing like KDE -or- vista-
Realize it's user preference. There's a kicker applet for KDE that
says "Start" or "KDE" or "menu", etc., instead of just having a K
icon; likewise old versions of GNOME used the foot icon. Changing
times, changing themes. Even in vista, if you so choose, you can
revert to the original theme, with "Start" and all.
With Haiku, however, being based on BeOS and in fact inheriting many
of its characteristics, there's nothing to fall back on except
tradition.

Maybe it should be configurable in Haiku?
To an extent, it is, you can change libbe.so or Deskbar (or whatever
it was hiding in), but that's rather advanced for an end user.

Give people an option, or even allow them to design their own menu
icons. It would go a long way to end this fight.

Also? I love the leaf.