[haiku-development] Re: Mounted Volumes

> I'm not sure I really agree about the menu thing. It takes up place
> and looks less pretty, and the leaf is unique enough on the system so
> that people will remember what it means. Also, Microsoft already
> dumped the start menu; let's not backtrack, shall we?

> Duane

*START RANT*

Okay but I am going to give a few quick reasons why I liked text on the Deskbar
instead - just to give the bigger picture:

1) I thought Haiku was trying to look similar to BeOS?  Since everything else
in Haiku tries to mimic BeOS look and feel - even the desktop icons are close
to, if not the same.  If so, then we should follow the same style that Be used
for their Deskbar?  Be used "BeOS" text on their Deskbar ( and yT used ZETA on
theirs ).

2) Leaf Deskbar looks more like KDE/Vista - both of which look unappealing to
me.  I still use XP and may never upgrade to another Windows ( may have to for
work though ).  I wonder why most of the popular Linux distros out there use
Gnome instead of KDE then?

3) Haiku has moved very close to KDE/Vista look.  Using text on the Deskbar
makes it a little balanced ( adds in a little Gnome feel/look to the Deskbar ).
 Yes, I like using Gnome Linux.  Is everyone here using KDE Linux then?

4)  Those that like the Deskbar leaf hopefully use KDE Linux too to keep a
similar style between Haiku & Linux.  If they use Gnome Linux then that would
not make sense.  Haiku & Gnome are looking very different from each other
whereas KDE and Haiku look about the same.  If people are using Gnome then why
do they like the Haiku KDE look?  Text on the Deskbar would bring in a little
Gnome feel to it.

5) Very Important.  I think that Image/Icons should only be for programs (
games & applications ).  Deskbar should look "unique and different" - stand
out.  If I took the Deskbar leaf and threw it in with 35 desktop icons - it
would look very similar to them.  If I did the same with a Deskbar image that
said MENU - it would stand out and be noticed quicker/easier - would look
different from the desktop icons.

The issue is that everyone wants icons/images to represent everything these
days.  Maybe the next step from here is to remove file extentions altogether
and use icons to represent all file types?  I wonder how well that would work
out with many different file types?

I also wonder, if we polled people on the Vista/KDE vs Gnome style which they
would prefer.  If Gnome won, which uses text based menus, then people would
have to explain why they liked the Haiku KDE look ( leaf vs text ).

People know what the leaf stands for because it stays in one relative position
- you could put any image there ( ie: ladybugs ) and people would know it stood
for the deskbar menu system.  Staying in 1 location makes it easy to understand
what the leaf represents.  If Microsoft wants to look more like KDE does that
mean that Haiku should too?

This is how I feel because I really like Gnome myself and believe we are moving
towards a "full" KDE/Vista look which I do not like.  It is not a matter of
whether the leaf looks good or not but rather the style Haiku has adopted.

*END RANT*

You wanted to know so I told you. :-)

->Nick

If you like crossword puzzles, then you'll love Flexicon, a game which combines
four overlapping crossword puzzles into one!
http://g.msn.ca/ca55/208